Return to the workplace - Your maintenance checklist
Following the change in government advice about working from home, many of us have started to return to the office. But while most office workers have adapted to home working, physical workplaces have been left vacant.
With many businesses preoccupied with reconfiguring their offices to meet new social distancing and hygiene measures, key maintenance has fallen to the bottom of many return-to-work checklists.
From assessing water supplies to checking air ventilation systems are still working - the role of maintenance and facilities teams has never been more important as they ensure the safety and wellbeing of users. Peldon Rose's dedicated maintenance team has put together simple and easy to follow tips for facilities managers as employees begin to return to workplaces.
Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
- Ventilation and air-conditioning systems should run on full fresh air where possible
- Extend mechanical vent operation
- Recommend ventilation should be kept on for longer periods of time, with lower ventilation rates when people are absent
- It is not recommended to switch vent systems off in any buildings, even those temporarily vacated, but operate them continuously at reduced speeds
- Recirculation of air between spaces, rooms or zones occupied by different people should be avoided
- Ensure users are aware of the impact of changing ventilation controls
- Ensure ventilation grills are not blocked
- Minimise airborne contaminants through proper and effective filtration and regular maintenance
- Water hygiene risk assessments in line with L8 to ensure Legionella controls are maintained should be carried out
- Control measures for toilets and washroom facilities to be reviewed
General COVID-19 areas of consideration
- Covid-19 Risk Assessment should be completed
- Single point of building entry where possible
- Clear routing and person flow around the building
- Temperature checks of staff and visitors upon entry
- Manage lift density
- Visitors should be controlled and limited